Friday, March 04, 2011

101.2 Thing To Do No. 61 - Join a Club

In the Autumn of 2009, after many years at a computer screen, I returned to screen printing, a technique I hadn't used since Art College, and loved it. But a move to Norwich from London put an end to my screen printing hobby as there wasn't a studio that I could find so I could carry on where I'd left off.

Luckily, in October 2010 Stew Studios opened it's doors to (Nor)folk like me, and I was back in business. After a couple of months of printing this and that with no real direction, Jo Stafford and Vicki Johnson, the founders of the studios ask me if I wanted to join them and two other guys, Tim Wall and Daryl Williams in a kind of screen printing club, where we meet up and create a new brief every month and print them (the first brief was to create a band poster).

Jo and Vicki have made great connections in the area through there screen printing and through Stew Studios, so even before we'd put ink to squeegee the exhibitions started racking up. The first exhibtation came from Luke at the Rumsey Wells, who had a space in the exhibition diary for the month of March, and the Mesh Collective, as we have called ourselves, were slotted in at very short notice.

So with just two weeks to print three pieces of work each, last night we completed 101.1 Thing To Do No. 12 – Get a piece of work into an exhibition. (post to follow).

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Congrats on your art show! I look forward to seeing your work.

Design Monkey said...

Thanks Jessica
It's all been a bit of a whirlwind but hopefully I'll post a piece about the launch party as soon as I can. I hope you like the prints.
rx