Monday, March 07, 2011

101.1 Thing To Do No. 12 – Get a piece of work into an exhibition

I Like Pigeons Because You Don't • Superhero Assembly Point B • Jackpot
Five of us formed a printmaking group called the Mesh Collective earlier this year (see previous post) and things moved very fast. We were given a chance to exhibit at the Rumsey Wells at short notice, with three pieces of work to produce each, It was all a bit of a rush but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

The first brief we set ourselves was to create a gig poster. Two of our members are friends with up and coming bands and they'd already produced posters to sell at their gigs but, for me, I needed to produce a poster from scratch and settled on a gig that never happened: The Velvet Underground and Nico – Live from Las Vegas. the chance to make Andy Warhol's banana as a fruit machine jackpot was too good to pass up.

My other posters could be of anything. I could have display my older screen prints of illustrations taken from the A is for Armageddon book that I'd already printed but I wanted to created something new so I decided to do something with pigeons and settled upon the pest fest you see above.

Finally, I love infographics so I created a screen print based on my Superhero Assembly Point illustration previously seen in the 101 Things To Do to Become a Superhero ... or Evil Genius book.

Between the five of us, we created fifteen pieces of work and hung them on the morning of the exhibition. On the night we hung the Superhero assembly point print between two of the largest prints on display to see if our visitors would realise that the sign was part of the exhibition, and as we're all so used to this kind of signage most people missed it. A compliment in one way that I got the design spot on but bad when it comes to sales ... oh well.

On the whole the launch night was a great success and a couple of bands that featured in the gig posters within the exhibition, Hello Bear and the Olympians, played our very intimate party too, and the icing on the cake was a that some of the collectives work was sold on the night and we also featured in the local paper, a great advert for the event. To see the newspaper article and the mesh collective blog click here. All our prints are for sale and we'll add a link to a shop soon so you can see all our work. In the meantime if you're interested the prints above then email thingstodobook@gmail.com

2 comments:

101 Things Before You Die said...

Congrats on a successful show. It's on my list this year to finally realize my childhood dream of being an artist and actually selling something. Of course that would require CREATING and I just don't make the time.

man in batik said...

helloo, can i rewrite the 101 things on indonesian blog ? i will still put the source, that is your book, please answer me on my e-mail under. pleaseeee